MBA Students' Association
The MBA Students' Association is looking hiring a new VP. Check out the below candidate platforms:
Hi, my name is Oluseun Olufemi or you can just call me Sean. I’m haven’t met all the new MBA-ers yet but I plan to get around to it. In terms of my background, I completed my Civil Engineering degree at UW a couple of years ago, so this city is practically home to me. Like many others in this programs, I elected to do my MBA in order to complement my analytical skills as well as enhancing my business acumen. As I’m entering in the last term of the MBA program, I’ve been thinking about ways to give back to the school and I believe this position is one of them.
I believe I’m a good fit for Executive VP since the role itself involves a lot of supporting, co-ordinating and managing. Apart from my connection to the community, I’ve had experience performing those duties or something similar; especially in my last couple of co-ops. In my most recent co-op at KPMG, technical contributions aside, my role also involved a lot of planning organizing, and co-ordinating between clients/prospective clients/ and members of the firm as well as providing support to the senior consultants and partners. In the co-op before that I was working at HILTI Canada’s corporate office. I was responsible for providing support (analytical or otherwise) to the Director of Business Development. I also had to plan, organize, co-ordinate and was occasionally responsible for running these meetings. The meetings were usually either between our project teams, other executives or the Director and the firm’s clients.
Finally, I can’t find a better way to complete my NFP than to use it to develop and provide support to initiatives aimed at making our program and community better. Having completed both my undergraduate and graduate degrees at both universities in this city, I have a strong duty and desire to make sure that the value these institutions provide are maintained and further enhanced
- Have been involved with the planning and execution of many of the programs and events during my first 2 semesters.
- Close relationship with all current co-op students, and have started to meet many of my newest full-time classmates.
- Highly motivated individual, with great communication, and team-oriented skills.
- Possess the ability to have my 'voice heard', while ensuring those whom I represent are heard as well.
- Very supportive of my fellow classmates, whether academically or in their career pursuits.
- Have the ability to keep my fellow co-ops in the loop with all events and programs as they finish their final term.
- Excited at the opportunity to support other roles within the MBASA.
- Have taken upon a mentoring role with the Co-op office, providing mock interviews to masters students from other programs.
- Have sat on the executive of non-profit organizations in the past, serving as president of a large one during my undergraduate studies.
- Have achieved a high caliber of success during all of my academic and work terms throughout the MBA.
- Take part in most of the sports, social, academic, and networking events offered through the MBA community.
Short Duration, Huge Impact
It is important to elect an individual who can have a huge impact in the short period that this temporary role will be filled for. This is why I believe I would be the ideal candidate for this EVP role because I've done exactly that for Laurier in the past; with dramatic results to show for it.
My Proven Track Record of Results that Improved the MBA program
In my first co-op term, I worked as the Laurier's MBA Marketing Coordinator for 4 months. This means I already have strong relations with everyone at the MBA office (still visiting them regularly) and have a deep understanding of the needs and concerns of the student body (extensive survey of student concerns were conducted, which I have insight on and have implemented solutions for in the past).
Here are some examples of how I've improved the program within a short period:
1. I spearheaded the revamp of the entire MBA program's website to truly position our program in the best way possible because the previous one was a decade old, and strayed people away from the program.
2. I developed and executed strategies (e.g. hiring of marketing agency, reallocating marketing budget, etc) that have dramatically increased MBA information session attendance rates (~50% increase) and website visitors (increase of 84%).
3. I implemented the Laurier MBA ambassador program, which I am also a part of (lauriermba.ca/student-ambassadors). This allows interested candidates to contact the student ambassadors about the MBA program, which has been a success so far.
These are just some examples that represent the fact that I have a genuine interest in improving the Laurier MBA program and to build Laurier's brand image as a prestigious University, because it will affect us ALL in the long run.
"Brian was effective in keeping the project on schedule and completing our goal as a team" Maureen Ferraro - Laurier MBA Marketing Coordinator
Why I'm Suited for the EVP Role and What I can Bring to the Team
This EVP role requires strong organizational and coordination abilities, which I have extensive experience with. In my second co-op term, I worked at Nestle Waters, directly supporting the Marketing Director and Marketing Managers. This required a lot of project management skills as I was the key contact/liaison for several large marketing projects that were all occurring within the same period, and that involved collaborating with various different stakeholders (e.g. multiple different marketing agencies, Finance Team, Sales Team and Supply Chain Team). This is very similar to how the EVP will be required to interact with a cross-functional team as well, supporting the President and other VPs in the MBASA. As the Executive Vice President of the MBASA, I will have the opportunity to continue my track record of improving Laurier's MBA program through directly supporting Bryan, the President, as well as the VPs of the MBASA team on an ongoing basis.
"Brian has been a real pleasure to have on board and is very eager to help out. We have been thrilled to have him with us" - Tracey Peake, Nestlè Waters - Marketing Director